2020 Scholarships Announcement
Wisconsin Outdoor Communicators Association
and Outdoor Heritage Education Center Scholarship
for Students in Outdoor Recreation Communication*
Award: $2,000 plus associated benefits.
Eligibility: Open to under-graduate or graduate students enrolled in a Wisconsin-based college or university with an interest in outdoor recreational communication.
Application Deadline: January 31, 2020
- Students must submit three items: (1) cover letter, outlining their interest in outdoor communication; and a (2) 750 maximum word outdoor recreation-related article with/or without illustration, OR completed 1- to 3-minute outdoor recreation-related audio or video presentation; plus must provide a (3) letter of recommendation from a professor or advisor.
- The competition is open to any currently enrolled undergraduate or graduate student with a demonstrated interest in outdoor recreational communication.
- Applications must be postmarked no later than January 31, 2020 and should be sent to: Laurel F. Steffes, Secretary, Wisconsin Outdoor Communicators Association, 33 Stacy Lane, Madison, WI 53716 OR CAN BE EMAILED TO firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The winning student will be notified in March, 2020.
- Recipient is asked to attend the WOCA annual meeting at Trees for Tomorrow in Eagle River on July 17-19, 2020 to receive the scholarship award and to present his or her paper or production. Conference fees, room and board will be paid by WOCA.
- Winning papers or productions along with the image of the winning student may appear on the WOCA and OHEC websites.
Student will receive: A $2,000 one-time scholarship; award certificate; a one year membership to the Wisconsin Outdoor Communicators Association and paid attendance at the 2020 annual conference where the scholarship award will be made. Student may also be offered a shadowing experience with a working outdoor writer or radio or television personality and is invited to a WOCA-organized fishing outing on July 19.
Questions: Direct questions to Laurel F. Steffes, Secretary, Wisconsin Outdoor Communicators Association; email@example.com
*Wisconsin Outdoor Communicators Association (WOCA) is an organization of outdoor writers, photographers, and radio and television communicators. Membership is open to anyone who is involved in outdoor communications. We meet annually to share our skills and knowledge and provide a communications link among outdoor communicators.
Heritage Education Center (OHEC) in Hazel Green, WI, connects youth and adults
with our natural resources. Founded in 1998 by Mark LaBarbera, OHEC’s mission
is to increase the public’s understanding, appreciation and sense of
stewardship for natural resources and professional resource management, including outdoor activities like hunting and fishing. Visit http://www.outdoorheritageeducationcenter.com/
For more information about the 2020 scholarship and how to submit an application please click here to download a pdf file.