2023 Scholarships Announcement
Wisconsin Outdoor Communicators Association
and Outdoor Heritage Education Center Scholarship
for Students in Outdoor Recreation Communication*
Award: $2,000 plus associated benefits.
Eligibility: Open to under-graduate or graduate students enrolled in a Wisconsin-based college or university with an interest in outdoor recreational communication.
Deadline: April 28, 2023
- Students must submit three items: (1) cover letter, outlining their interest in outdoor communication; and a (2) 750 maximum word outdoor recreation-related article with/or without illustration, OR completed 1- to 3-minute outdoor recreation-related audio or video presentation; plus must provide a (3) letter of recommendation from a professor or advisor.
- The competition is open to any currently enrolled undergraduate or graduate student with a demonstrated interest in outdoor recreational communication.
- Applications must be postmarked no later than April 28, 2023 and should be sent to: Laurel F. Steffes, Secretary, Wisconsin Outdoor Communicators Association, 33 Stacy Lane, Madison, WI 53716 OR CAN BE EMAILED TO email@example.com.
winning student will be notified on or about May 12, 2023
- Recipient is urged to attend the WOCA annual meeting at Trees for Tomorrow in Eagle River on July 28-29, 2022 to receive the scholarship award and to present his or her paper or production. Conference fees, room and board will be paid by WOCA.
- Winning papers or productions along with the image of the winning student may appear on the WOCA and OHEC websites.
Student will receive: A $2,000 one-time scholarship; award certificate; a one year membership to the Wisconsin Outdoor Communicators Association and paid attendance at the 2023 annual conference where the scholarship award will be made. Student may also be offered a shadowing experience with a working outdoor writer or radio or television personality and is invited to a potential WOCA-organized fishing outing on July 30.
Questions: Direct questions to Laurel F. Steffes, Secretary, Wisconsin Outdoor Communicators Association; firstname.lastname@example.org
*Wisconsin Outdoor Communicators Association (WOCA) is an organization of outdoor writers, photographers, and radio and television communicators. Membership is open to anyone who is involved in outdoor communications. We meet annually to share our skills and knowledge and provide a communications link among outdoor communicators.
*Outdoor Heritage Education Center (OHEC) in Hazel Green, WI, connects youth and adults with our natural resources. Founded in 1998 by Mark LaBarbera, OHEC’s mission is to increase the public’s understanding, appreciation and sense of stewardship for natural resources and professional resource management, including outdoor activities like hunting and fishing. Visit http://www.outdoorheritageeducationcenter.com/
2022 Scholarship Winner Blake Raymer
Shown from left to right is Art Barlow (Scholarship Committee), Mark LaBarbera (Outdoor Heritage Education Center), Blake Raymer (Scholarship Recipient), Laurel Steffes (Secretary/Treasurer and Scholarship Committee), and Pat Durkin (WOCA President. Blake is a sophomore in Fisheries and Water Resources at the University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point